The Borough of West Mifflin Zoning Hearing Board will meet in Municipal Council Chambers, 1020 Lebanon Road on Monday May 2, 2016 at 6:00 PM to hear the following cases. The plans and applications for this case are available for the public to view in the Community Development Department office located in Room 208, 1020 Lebanon Road between the hours of 8-4 Monday thru Friday:
CASE# ZHB 16-04
APPLICANT: Speedway LLC
ADDRESS: 500 Speedway Dr
Enon, Ohio 45323
OWNER OF PROPERTY:
Tech One Associates LP
PROPERTY LOCATION: 6999 Clairton Rd.
West Mifflin, PA 15122
ZONING DISTRICT: C-1 General Commercial
Applicant is requesting 8 variances to Chapter 290 of the Borough of West Mifflin Code of Ordinance (Zoning Chapter). The applicant is requesting the following variances:
- Lighting Variance (§290-31.F.1) – Request a variance to allow minimal light spillage onto the public ROW on Clairton Rd. (S.R. 885). Due to the 3.5 footcandle requirement on all paved areas, some lighting must spill over onto the public ROW.
- Wall Sign Variance (§290-139.C.3) – Request a variance to add a second internally illuminated wall sign attached to the building. This sign will be supporting signage which depicts that the proposed building has Speedy Café food services.
- Freestanding Sign Variance (§290-139.C.5) – Request a variance to reduce the sign setback from 10′ to 7′. The proposed freestanding sign cannot meet the 10′ setback due to proposed driveway circulation around the auto dispensers.
- Freestanding Sign Variance (§290-139.C.5) – Request a 5′ variance for increase in sign height. The proposed sign is 30′ tall, and the ordinance states 25′ maximum. Increasing the sign height by 5′ will increase the viewing distance for the gasoline sale prices.
- Freestanding Sign Variance (§290-139.C.5) – Request a variance for an additional 65 sf in sign area. Speedway’s typical sign for this type of development is their 165 sf goal post sign. Providing large and clearly visible pricing allows the driving public to quickly and safely identify the cost, to determine if they wish to stop and make the appropriate lane movement(s) to enter the site.
- Freestanding Sign Variance (§290-139.C.5) – Request a 3′ variance for a decrease in clearance distance between the bottom edge of the sign with the ground. The proposed sign has a clearance of 7′. Since there will not be any traffic circulation around or under the sign, a 7′ clearance should be acceptable.
- Canopy Sign Variance – Request a variance for an additional 194 sf of sign area for the canopy signage. The Zoning Ordinance does not specify requirements for canopy signage. Speedway requires canopy signage to promote business.
- Sign Area Variance – Request a variance for an additional 140 sf of sign area for snap signs between bollards. These signs will advertise specials, new products, and deals.