Road to Close for 50 Consecutive Days
Pittsburgh – PennDOT District 11 is announcing a long-term closure of Mifflin Road (Route 885) in the City of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, will begin Monday, July 6 weather permitting.
Beginning at 7 a.m. on Monday morning, Mifflin Road will close for 50 consecutive calendar days between Doerville Avenue and Lebanon Road for culvert replacement and roadway reconstruction. All traffic will be detoured.
Posted Car Detour
· From outbound (southbound) Route 885 take the Streets Run Road Exit
· At the stop sign at the end of the ramp, bear right onto Baldwin Road
· Baldwin Road becomes Streets Run Road
· Turn left onto Delwar Road
· Follow Delwar Road to Lebanon Church Road
· Turn left onto Lebanon Church Road and follow to Lebanon Road
· End detour
· Same detour in the opposite direction
Posted Heavy Truck Detour
· From outbound (southbound) Route 885, take the exit to Route 837 Glass Run Road/Carson Street/Homestead
· At the stop sign at the end of the ramp, turn left onto Glass Run Road
· Turn left at the traffic signal onto northbound Route 885
· Take the ramp towards North 837/Carson Street
· Follow East Carson Street to the West End Circle
· Turn left at the light towards South 19/51 to West 376 Airport
· Follow Route 51 southbound
· Take the ramp to Route 885 towards McKeesport/West Mifflin
· Follow Route 885 (Lebanon Church Road) to Lebanon Road
· End detour
· From northbound Mifflin Road, take Lebanon Church Road west to Clairton Road (Route 885)
· Turn left onto Clairton Road and follow to Route 837 (North State Street)
· Turn left onto Route 837 and follow back to the Glenwood interchange
· End detour
Work will begin at the northern section of the project. Residents and emergency vehicles will have access to Mifflin Road from the southern end of the project.
Beginning on Monday, July 13, work will begin at the southern end of the project, necessitating the closure of the Lebanon Road and Mifflin Road intersection. Residents and emergency vehicles will still have access to Mifflin Road from the south. When the work at the northern section is complete (approximately 18 days from the start of the closure), residents and emergency vehicles will have access to Mifflin Road from the north.
Local police will control key intersections along the Streets Run Road detour route.
When the closure is complete only signal upgrades and sidewalk improvements with minor traffic restrictions will occur.
Please use caution when driving through the area. Work zone safety is everyone’s responsibility.
The overall Glenwood Interchange Phase 2 project includes the replacement of four culverts, utility relocation, traffic signal upgrades and the resurfacing of Route 885 (Mifflin Road) between Lebanon Road and Doerville Street. Golden Triangle Construction is the prime contractor.
To help keep motorists informed as work on the Glenwood Interchange Phase II project continues PennDOT is creating an email distribution list for Route 885 traffic advisories and construction updates. Enroll by sending email addresses firstname.lastname@example.org and writing “Subscribe – Route 885” in the subject line.
Motorists can check conditions on major roadways by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 770 traffic cameras. 511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional Twitter alerts accessible on the 511PA website.