COUNCIL OF THE BOROUGH OF WEST MIFFLIN met in regular session in the Municipal Building Council Chambers on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 6:30 p.m. prevailing time with President Regis Stephenson presiding.
|ROLL CALL:||Andzelik||Present||Munsie Present|
Seven members present, absent none. Mayor Kelly present.
CITIZENS COMMENTS ON AGENDA ITEMS:
Steve Marone of 441 Livingston Road questioned what CONNECT is under Agenda Item B. Mr. Janus explained that it is a non-profit organization which consists of the City of Pittsburgh and 30 neighboring communities and its purpose is to try and coordinate activities amongst the communities such as the 3 Rivers Wet Weather Grant to analyze sewer system management at no cost to the Borough.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
Motion by Olack, seconded by Munsie that the Minutes of the September 21, 2010 Council Meeting be approved. Roll Call: Seven ayes, no nays. Motion carried.
- RESOLUTION OF THE BOROUGH OF WEST MIFFLIN APPROVING A REQUEST FOR A LIQUOR LICENSE TRANSFER BY LA HACIENDA TO 3075 CLAIRTON BOULEVARD, WEST MIFFLIN, PA 15123 PURSUANT TO ACT 141 OF 2000 AND ACT 10 OF 2002.
Solicitor Evashavik read the resolution. Motion by Falce, seconded by Olack that the resolution be adopted. Roll Call: Seven ayes, no nays. Motion carried. Resolution given No. 1227.
- B. RESOLUTION OF THE BOROUGH OF WEST MIFFLIN AUTHORIZING CONNECT TO MAKE APPLICATION FOR A
3 RIVERS WET WEATHER GRANT.
Solicitor Evashavik read the resolution. Motion by Popovich, seconded by Kostelnik that the resolution be adopted. Roll Call: Seven ayes, no nays. Motion carried. Resolution given No. 1228.
- C. RESOLUTION OF THE BOROUGH OF WEST MIFFLIN RETAINING
H-T CAPITAL MARKETS AS INVESTMENT BANKERS FOR A PROPOSED REFINANCING OF OUTSTANDING SERIES A OF 2000 BONDS.
Solicitor Evashavik read the resolution. Motion by Munsie, seconded by Kostelnik that the resolution be adopted. Roll Call: Seven ayes, no nays. Motion carried. Resolution given No.1229.
- Motion by Olack, seconded by Munsie to authorize the Borough Manager to enter into an agreement with Standard & Poors, as outlined in their letter of October 13, 2000, for bond rating at a fee of $4,800 plus other fees and expenses. Roll Call: Seven ayes, no nays. Motion carried.
- Motion by Munsie, seconded by Kostelnik to appoint Brian Kamauf as Borough Manager effective December 13, 2010 at an annual salary of $70,000 contingent upon satisfactorily completing a background investigation. Roll Call: Seven ayes, no nays. Motion carried.
- F. Motion by Olack, seconded by Munsie to approve the simple subdivision request for the Ciacalone and Pigozzi subdivision plan as recommended by the Borough Engineer and Community Development Director. Roll Call: Seven ayes, no nay Motion carried.
- Motion by Popovich, seconded by Olack to approve a six-month lease extension (November 1,
2010 to April 30, 2011) for SAIC. Roll Call: Seven ayes, no nays. Motion carried.
- Motion by Olack, seconded by Popovich to appoint John Munsie as Official Delegate and Joseph Falce as Alternate Delegate to the Allegheny County Boroughs Association. Roll Call: Seven ayes, no nays. Motion carried.
- I. Motion by Munsie, seconded by Kostelnik to appoint Legal Tax Service, Inc. to serve as
Earned Income Tax Collector for 2011. Roll Call: Seven ayes, no nays. Motion carried.
- J. Motion by Olack, seconded by Andzelik to authorize a Change Order in the amount of $529.00 for the installation of a generator plug for the Bettis Intersection Traffic Signals Project. Roll Call: Seven ayes, no nay Motion carried.
- Motion by Olack, seconded by Munsie to authorize a Change Order to the contract with Traffic Systems and Services providing for a project time extension from 60 days to 130 days. Roll Call: Seven ayes, no nays. Motion carried.
- L. Motion by Olack, seconded by Popovich to approve a $3,753 donation to the West Mifflin VFC #3 for the purchase of six new portable radios to be paid out of the General F Roll Call: Seven ayes, no nays. Motion carried.
- M. Motion by Olack, seconded by Munsie to approve a Change Order in the amount of $350 for the installation of an emergency backup to the new phone system being installed by DES, Inc. Roll Call: Seven ayes, no nay Motion carried.
- Motion by Olack, seconded by Popovich to approve a $500 donation to the West Mifflin AARP Chapter #2170 for 2010. Roll Call: Seven ayes, no nays. Motion carried.
- Motion by Olack, seconded by Munsie to approve a $2,000 donation to the Carnegie Library of
Homestead for 2010. Roll Call: Seven ayes, no nays. Motion carried.
Community Development………………………………………………….. Walter B. Anthony
Mr. Anthony read the Community Development Department Report for the month of October 2010. Police……………………………………………………………………………….. Chief Ken Davies
Chief Davies read the Police Department Report for the month of October 2010.
Chief Davies reported that Bettis Road is now open. He also reported that the former Tax Office
Trailer has been removed from the Police Station property.
Public Works……………………………………………………………………. James Hess
Mr. Hess read the Public Works Department Report for the month of October 2010.
Mr. Hess reported that the Single Stream Recycling Program is working out very well and that the benefit to the Borough has been approximately $4,000 per month. He also reported that there are no more recycle bins and that he ordered a stencil and any resident that would like their own trash can labeled should call Public Works and they will label it. He also reported that the Leaf Collection Program will last for 2 more weeks.
Recreation……………………………………………………………………….. Lance Maha
Mr. Keron thanked everyone who helped with another successful Halloween Party.
REPORT OF THE MAYOR:
Mayor Kelly reported that Light Up Night would be November 30th at 6:00 p.m. He also thanked Wal
Mart for their generous $1,000 donation to help defray the cost.
Mayor Kelly reported that he is setting up a meeting with the Borough’s health insurance company, MEIT and Highmark to see if they can come up with a plan to reduce the anticipated increase of
REPORT OF THE SOLICITOR:
Mr. Evashavik reported that Mr. Anthony prepared a schedule of proposed new permit fees to update the costs which he has reviewed. He said that he prepared a resolution which would adopt the new rates. He stated that Council needs to review the new rates for 2011 and once agreed upon it can be finalized by resolution.
Mr. Evashavik reported he reviewed the Comcast Cable Franchise Agreement. He stated that basically it looks to be in order; however he has a couple questions to address to them to make sure the Borough is getting everything it is entitled to.
REPORT OF THE ENGINEER:
Mr. Rober reported that all the items on his report have been addressed under the Agenda Items.
REPORT OF THE MANAGER:
Mr. Janus reported that the annual Workplace Safety Committee renewal application is complete and he has arranged for training of the committee this coming Friday.
Mr. Janus reported that he has received the Energy Audit Report on the Borough Building which is part of the Allegheny County Energy Program for Municipalities. He stated that there could be some savings, however there would be an initial investment involved such as changing lights and a few other items.
PAYMENT OF BILLS:
Motion by Olack, seconded by Kostelnik that all bills properly approved by the Finance Committee be paid. Roll Call: Seven ayes, no nays. Motion carried.
Mr. Stephenson reported there are openings on the following boards and commissions: Planning Commission, 3 vacancies (4 year term); Zoning Hearing Board, 1 vacancy (3 year term); Vacancy Board, 1 vacancy (1 year term); Employees Pension Committee , 1 vacancy (3 year term); Police Pension Committee, 1 vacancy (3 year term); Sanitary Sewer Municipal Authority, 1 vacancy (5 year term). He stated that candidates should submit a letter of interest by Friday, December 10, 2010 for action to be taken at the December 21, 2010 Council Meeting.
Steve Marone 441 Livingston Road questioned the status of the Pennvest Loan that the West Mifflin Sanitary Sewer Municipal Authority was requesting the Borough to guarantee the loan. Mr. Evashavik stated that Council requested a public meeting be scheduled with the Authority Board. Mr. Stephenson commented that the Authority Board requested a private meeting and Council did not agree to a closed meeting. Mrs. Popovich stated she received a recent correspondence from the Authority Board and
they are still requesting a private meeting. Mr. Marone also questioned when the Volunteer Fire Companies would receive their funding. Mr. Munsie stated that they would be available this Friday, November 19th. Mr. Marone questioned the amount that the Borough had given PRISM Health Services this year. Mr. Munsie stated that it is $65,000 plus their fuel cost.
Diane Schnur Cipa Ligonier, PA spoke on behalf of Elsie and Nancy Jenkins her aunt and cousin who own property on Coombs Avenue also known as St. Agnes Court. She stated that there are some
issues and concerns with one of the property owners and she had previously met with Chief Davies and Mr. Anthony regarding her concerns. Mr. Evashavik stated his opinion is that the issue is a private dispute on private property.
Vernon Parkinson of Pittsburgh spoke on behalf of his brother who is the property owner that Ms. Cipa has issues with. He stated that he agrees with Mr. Evashavik’s opinion and that if Ms. Cipa would like to pursue this matter she should hire an attorney.
Diane Stanesic 2803 Glenny Lane Extension commented that she feels if there is a meeting between Council and the Authority Board to discuss the possibility of co-signing a Pennvest Loan it should be a public meeting.
Bill Welsh 2413 Homestead-Duquesne Road stated that he wished to clarify that he is a union employee of the West Mifflin Sanitary Sewer Authority and not in management or on the Board and that the union members have been hearing many rumors. Mr. Welsh said Council’s letter requesting a time for a meeting with the Authority Board specified that no staff were invited and that is the reason the Authority has been reluctant to schedule a meeting. Mr. Stephenson explained that there has been confusion regarding the letters going back and forth and the conditions for a meeting and he would like to go on record as saying that it should be a public meeting with both the Authority Board and Council and in as much as it would be a public meeting everyone is welcome to attend. After further
discussion it was decided that a meeting date would be set as soon as possible.
Harry Thompson 6679 Adams Avenue requested that since the Solicitor is negotiating the Cable Franchise Agreement he should consider trying to keep the Franchise Fee as low as possible since the cable company passes this on to the customer.
Motion by Andzelik, seconded by Olack that the Meeting be adjourned. Meeting adjourned at 7:35 p.m. prevailing time. Roll Call: Seven ayes, no nays. Motion carried.