COUNCIL OF THE BOROUGH OF WEST MIFFLIN met in regular session in the Municipal Building Council Chambers on Tuesday, December 17, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. prevailing time with President Michael Moses presiding.
Prior to the Council Meeting Mayor Kelly presented Citizenship Awards to David Hornyak and Keith Kovalsky in recognition of unselfish service and valuable contributions to the Borough for their quick response as tow truck operators to a motorcycle accident which saved the drivers life.
President Michael Moses also recognized outgoing Council members John Andzelik and John Munsie for their years of devoted and valuable service to the Borough. Mr. Moses presented Mr. Munsie with a plaque and in as much as Mr. Andzelik was absent made arrangements for him to
receive his at a later time.
Six members present, absent one (Andzelik). Mayor Kelly present.
CITIZENS COMMENTS ON AGENDA ITEMS:
Nikki Thielet 1949 Anna Avenue commented on Agenda Item H in regards to why the Borough has chosen to withdraw from the Steel Valley Council of Governments when they have received a grant through them for the demo project under Item H as well as funding for many projects in the past. Mr. Kamauf explained that the South Hills Council of Governments offers a wider range of services that the Borough is interested in using. Mrs. Thielet questioned whether the dues were equal. Mr. Kamauf explained that they are far less. He stated that Steel Valley
COG’s annual membership fee is $25,000 and South Hills COG is $5,000 annually with a one- time $5,000 initial fee.
Diane Stanesic 2803 Glenny Lane Extension questioned what the millage is set at for 2014. Mr. Kamauf stated that it is 7.55 mills which is a reduction from 8.02 mills in 2013.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
Motion by Olack, seconded by Marone that the Minutes of the November 19, 2013 Council
Meeting be approved. Roll Call: Six ayes, no nays, one absent (Andzelik). Motion carried.
- RESOLUTION OF THE BOROUGH OF WEST MIFFLIN, ALLEGHENY COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA, ADOPTING A BUDGET FOR FISCAL YEAR BEGINNING JANUARY 1, 2014 AND ENDING ON DECEMBER 31, 2014 IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE BOROUGH CODE FOR THE BOROUGH OF WEST MIFFLIN.
Budget – $16,659,378.00
Liquid Fuels Budget – $ 391,932.24
Capital Projects- $ 300,000.00
Motion by Olack seconded by Kostelnik that the resolution be adopted. Roll Call: Six ayes, no nays, one absent (Andzelik). Motion carried. Resolution given No. 1269.
- B. ORDINANCE OF THE BOROUGH OF WEST MIFFLIN, ALLEGHENY COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA, FIXING AND REENACTING THE REAL ESTATE TAX RATE FOR THE YEAR 2014 AND IMPOSING DISCOUNTS, PENALTIES AND INTEREST THE (7.55 MILLS)
Solicitor DiLucente opened the Public Hearing for comments. Hearing no questions or comments he declared the Public Hearing closed.
Motion by Marone, seconded by Olack that the ordinance be enacted. Under remarks, Mr. Moses thanked Brian Kamauf for his foresight with the Allegheny County Assessments last year which enabled the Borough to fund the budget for the entire year and to have a positive outcome. Roll Call: Six ayes, no nays, one absent (Andzelik). Motion carried. Ordinance given No. 1185.
- RESOLUTION OF THE BOROUGH OF WEST MIFFLIN, ALLEGHENY COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA, FIXING AND ESTABLISHING THE SALARIES AND WAGES OF THE BELOW LISTED AND VARIOUS EMPLOYEES OF THE BOROUGH OF WEST MIFFLIN FOR THE PERIOD COMMENCING WITH THE FIRST PAY PERIOD IN JANUARY 2014 AND CONTINUING FORWARD UNTIL OTHERWISE AMENDED BY BOROUGH COUNCIL.
Motion by Marone, seconded by Kostelnik that the resolution be adopted. Roll Call: Six ayes, no nays, one absent (Andzelik). Motion carried. Resolution given No.1270.
- Motion by Munsie, seconded Kostelnik to approve the hiring of Kelly Theiss as Full- Time Office Assistant, at an annual salary of $50,000.00 with benefits of Class 1 employee as defined by the Personnel Manual. Roll Call: Six ayes, no nays, one absent (Andzelik). Motion carried.
- E. Motion by Kostelnik, seconded by Olack to approve the Change Order for the 2013 Road Paving Contract with Suit-Kote. Change Order constitutes a deduction of $5,499.75 and final payment of contract in the amount of $15,757.78. Roll Call: Six ayes, no nays, one absent (Andzelik). Motion carrie
- F. Motion by Olack, seconded by Marone to approve advertising for a Public Hearing for the Zoning Ordinance Amendme Roll Call: Six ayes, no nays, one absent (Andzelik). Motion carried.
- G. Motion by Kostelnik, seconded by Olack to adopt and approve advertising the 2014
Meetings Calendar. Roll Call: Six ayes, no nays, one absent (Andzelik). Motion carried.
- Motion by Olack, seconded by Munsie to approve awarding Gray Waste Management and Demolition the Contract for demolition associated with year 39 CDBG Grant, through Steel Valley Council of Governments. Roll Call: Six ayes, no nays, one absent (Andzelik). Motion carried.
- Motion by Marone, seconded by Kostelnik to approve appointments to the following boards/committees/authorities:
Zoning Hearing Board – James Baker, term Jan. 1, 2014-Dec. 31, 2016
Sanitary Sewer Authority – John Munsie, term expires first Monday 2019
Vacancy Board – William Bennett Jr., term Jan.1, 2014-Dec. 31, 2014
Police Pension Committee – Officer Thomas Kahler, term expires Dec. 31, 2015
Board of Directors Baldwin EMS – Robert Kostelnik, term expires Dec. 31, 2015
Baldwin EMS (alternate) – Daniel Davis, term expires Dec. 31, 2015
Roll Call: Five ayes, no nays, one absent (Andzelik), one abstention (Munsie). Motion carried.
- Motion by Olack, seconded by Marone to approve the donation of Pavilion No.3 on July
17, 2014 to the West Mifflin Area School district Life Skills Support Program for student’s participation in the extended school year program. Roll Call: Six ayes, no nays, one absent (Andzelik). Motion carried.
- K. Motion by Marone, seconded by Kostelnik to approve the revised and updated Police Civil Service Rules and Reg Roll Call: Six ayes, no nay, one absent (Andzelik). Motion carried.
- L. Motion by Kostelnik, seconded by Olack to approve the contract proposal from Dagostino Electronic Services, Incorporated to upgrade and move current phone systems for the West Mifflin Police Department and Administration Offices at a cost of
$21,528.10. Under remarks, Mr. Kamauf stated that this is for the moving and upgrading of the current equipment. Roll Call: Six ayes, no nays, one absent (Andzelik). Motion carried.
- M. Motion by Olack, seconded by Kostelnik to approve the purchase of computer equipment for the West Mifflin Police Department through the Tupper Group COSTARS Contract
No. 003-084, at a total cost of $18,004.00, equipment includes the following:
|Desktop Computers 10||$ 746.00||$7,460.00|
|Rack Mounted Server 1||$3,100.00||$3,100.00|
|Barracuda Backup 1||$3,250.00||$3,250.00|
|CLEAN Cisco Replacement||1||$ 425.00||$ 425.00|
|APC Computer Rack 1||$1,700.00||$1,700.00|
|APC Battery Backup for Transition 1 $1,200.00 $1,200.00|
|Additional Power Outlets||1||$ 100.00||$ 100.00|
|Dispatch Work Stations||1||$1,500.00||$1,500.00|
|StarTech Switches 4 Port||1||$ 240.00||$ 240.00|
|Console Extender 1||$ 279.00||$ 279.00|
|Cables to Equipment 4||$ 25.00||$ 100.00|
|Rack Connection 1||$ 50.00||$ 50.00|
|Rack Equipment||$ 300.00||$ 300.00|
Under remarks, Chief Davies stated that the equipment would be paid for from the Federal Forfeiture Fund and that he intends to write grants for reimbursement of this money. Roll Call: Six ayes, no nays, one absent (Andzelik). Motion carried.
Community Development…………………………………………………. Walter Anthony
Mr. Anthony read the Community Development Report for the month of November 2013.
Police ………………………………………………………………………………. Chief Ken Davies
Chief Davies read the Police Department Report for the month of November 2013.
Public Works …………………………………………………………………… James Hess
Mr. Hess read the Public Works Department Report for the month of November 2013.
Mr. Hess reported that he is working with FEMA to recoup some costs from spring storms that caused damage on Curry Hollow Road.
Mr. Hess reported that he and Mr. Kamauf are working on an e-waste program for the municipality for disposal of electronic equipment and TV’s. He said they are also working on reinstituting the leaf recycling program.
Recreation ……………………………………………………………………….. Steve Keron
EMS Report …………………………………………………………………….. William Plunkett
Chief Plunkett read the EMS Report for the month of November 2013.
Chief Plunkett also reported that the Special Olympics Polar Plunge was very successful and that
Baldwin EMS raised in excess of $20,000 this year and a three year total of over $45,000.00. Chief Plunkett thanked Councilman John Munsie for his invaluable years of service.
REPORT OF THE MAYOR:
Mayor Kelly complimented Council and the leadership of President Moses, Brian Kamauf and all of the Borough Employees for a good year that’s going in the right direction.
Mayor Kelly thanked everyone involved for another successful Light Up Night.
Mayor Kelly thanked Mr. Andzelik and Mr. Munsie for the work they did and time spent in the years they served the Borough.
REPORT OF THE SOLICITOR:
Solicitor DiLucente reported his firm has been working on an easement agreement with Peoples Gas to relocate a gas line in the Bost Drive, Livingston Road neighborhood. He also stated that they have been working on an Amendment for the purchase of the new Borough Building. He said that another item they had worked on is the West Mifflin Police Civil Service Rules and Regulations. He also remarked that it has been great to work with Mr. Andzelik and Mr. Munsie.
REPORT OF THE ENGINEER:
Mr. Antonelli reported that the Grant for the Soccer Field has been extended through the end of
- He stated that at the pre-construction meeting they were told that during construction that Mr. Hess the Borough representative could inspect and complete reports for the field placement, however the storm water controls require inspection by the design engineer. He also said that LaFarge has begun field preparations.
REPORT OF THE BOROUGH MANAGER:
Mr. Kamauf read the Finance Report for the month of November 2013.
Mr. Kamauf reported that every other week there has been construction meetings at the new building and that substantial progress has been made. He said that the closing on the property is scheduled for Jan 31st and he anticipates a late February or early March move.
PAYMENT OF BILLS:
Motion by Munsie, seconded by Marone that all bills properly approved by the Finance
Committee be paid. Roll Call: Six ayes, no nays, one absent (Andzelik),
Motion by Munsie, seconded by Kostelnik to rescind the Motion authorizing the recalling of one Public Works Employee passed at the October 15, 2013 Council Meeting. Roll Call: Four ayes, two nays (Marone, Olack), one absent (Andzelik). Motion carried.
Mr. Marone thanked everyone who participated in the fundraiser for William Proud the 25 year old volunteer firefighter from Skyview No.4 Volunteer Fire Company who is battling Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.
Mr. Kostelnik thanked Mr. Andzelik and Mr. Munsie for their service on Council and he also welcomed newly elected councilmembers Dan Davis and Joyce Kushner. He remarked that he is looking forward to working with Mr. Munsie on the West Mifflin Sanitary Sewer Municipal Authority Board.
Motion by Munsie, seconded by Marone that the Meeting be adjourned. Meeting adjourned at
7:50 p.m. prevailing time.