- No material other than clean wood, propane, or natural gas may be open burned EXCEPT for:
- Commercially available fire logs, paraffin logs, or wood pellets;
- Paper or commercial smokeless fire starters in order to start a fire;
- Charcoal for the preparation of food only.
- Fires may be no larger than 3′ wide by 3′ long by 2′ high.
- Fires must be at least 15 feet from the nearest neighbor’s dwelling or inhabited area, including:
- Property line
- Public access area
- Wood burning activities are prohibited on Air Quality Action days, with the exception of burning for the commercial preparation of food
- Burning may be prohibited or reduced if it is considered a nuisance, based on the following criteria:
- The severity of the amount of air pollutants;
- The duration or frequency of open burning;
- The topography of the surroundings;
- The meteorological conditions.
- Open burning permits are available for ceremonies fostering of agriculture, abatement of a public health hazard, and firefighting instruction; however, all permitted open burning is prohibited on Air Quality Action Days.
- Contact ACHD at (412) 578-7963 for more information
ALLEGHENY COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT • AIR QUALITY PROGRAM
301 39TH STREET BUILDING #7 • PITTSBURGH, PA 1 5201-1 81 1
PHONE (412) 578-8103 • FAX (41 2) 578-8144